Saturday, July 26, 2014

How to Spend Leisure Hours Productively

There is no question that we get effing busy once in a while but for sure, upon tidying up one’s schedule, there is always space for leisure. As unique as people are, there are a lot of options to choose from on where we are to put our remaining time and energy either for mere pleasure or personal growth. For the past few months, here are the few things I've involved with to remedy boredom and break life’s monotony.

May and June readings.

Reading books (always). When I was a student, I vowed to graduate on time so I could work and have additional hours for my reading. However, the reverse happened. I have less time for reading because I have paper works to finish and places to travel in relation to my job. Unlike when I was still a student waiting for allowance to be wired and could skip class in exchange of a gripping book, now I am earning my own dough and cannot merely say I got to pass work for a good book. I see to it though that I am able to finish 2-3 books a month to feed my brain cells.




The alphabet.
Taking a language class. It has always been my dream to learn a foreign tongue. It is also one way of meeting new people.  There are various institutions offering foreign language lessons in Metro Manila like  Alliance Française de Manille , The Bridge, and International Language Academy Manila. There are also universities that offer foreign language classes one of which is University of Philippines-Diliman. Their Department of European Languages offers extramural language courses. Other department also offers classes in Asian languages. As I have nothing much to do on Saturdays, I decided to take a three-hour session of French. 


Toastmasters busy evaluating speeches.
Attending Toastmasters. If you want to improve your leadership and public speaking skills the fun way, then I guess, you should try visiting Toastmasters meetings. There is certainly a toastmasters club in your area where you can club hop! Here you will meet seasoned speakers who are willing to mentor and give encouraging comments on how you could improve to be a better speaker. Members came from different backgrounds and fields of expertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment