Sunday, November 1, 2015

Climbing Mt. Pulag -DIY

“Static people don’t fall! You fell because you were either climbing, or running. This is a sign that you are on track. Don’t stop where you fall; rise up and do it again!” 
― Israelmore AyivorDaily Drive 365
During a break for business presentation skills training, a mountain climbing junkie and colleague mentioned he is to climb Mt. Pulag, solo. The wanderlust blood in me rushed in. And before we knew it, five of us found ourselves at Victory Liner - Pasay for the trip.


At around 4:30 am, we finally arrived at Baguio. Freezing, we went down Session Road for some walking so as to hunt for gloves and of course, breakfast to pacify our growling tummies. All of my climbing companions here are officemates except Kuya Michael who is working in a BPO. 

Being the only girl, I was pushed by the men to charm (of which I bet didn't work) the van driver to get a discount for our trip to Bokod, Benguet. At P2500, he finally agreed to take us up to the ranger station. Another 2 climbers arrived and we were just so happy to share a ride with them to lessen our fare. A couple of minutes later, we were on our way to DENR-Kabayan that took care of the orientation for all Pulag climb. 

A typhoon has just a passed around the area putting our climb in jeopardy. In fact, we were not allowed to climb until the last minute. It had been pouring real hard the days prior of our climb. Fortunately, the weather brighten on the climb day. But then there was a landslide on the way up so we took a motorcycle in lieu of the van.

We were starving for lunch when
we arrived at the ranger station. Too bad as there were no carenderia food sold around the vicinity as they were not expecting climbers after the bitching weather. Luckily, a sari-sari store offered us to cook what we bought from them. Thank heavens!


Kuya Michael and JJ  ready to explore the mossy forest.

As work often demands me to travel once in a while, I stopped going to the gym (Ehem, lame excuse). My last climb was four months ago. And my heart was starting to fail me. It behaved as if it was not used to walking with a heavy baggage. Add the freezing temperature and I was ready to give up. I felt dizzy and my nose felt like it was ready to fall anytime. I was tempted to pretend I was good but my surrounding started to blur. Then and there I asked our guide to carry my bag. 
Panting like hell at Mt. Pulag's Camping Ground 2

Seemingly battered comfort rooms. But in such area, it does really provide comfort. Hoho!

The Boys enjoying  groufie.
With lots of chitchats, once in a while rest, and occasional sharing of trail food, we finally arrived at Camp 2. I was so excited to see a comfort room. It seemed uncomfortable but then again, bawal ang mapili sa bundok. My colleagues washed up after we set our tent. I did not bother. It was too cold for me. I thought I was just hungry and maybe the shivering will be gone after a meal. It did not. And it was getting worse. My head hurt. I was frantic how I supposed to last the night. Day 1 was over.

At around 5 am, we started our trek to the summit.
Mt. Pulag off the bucket list.
The Boys were not just contented of getting up there. They also wanted to show off their muscles (supposed there is any:) up there. Kidding aside, they just wanted to test if their fats can withstand the cold.

The view on the way and up the peak is spectacular. We were very lucky to have the Camp and the peak all for ourselves as there were no other climbers the day before. We were even more lucky because just right after we set foot back at the Ranger Station, a heavy rain began to take over the sunny sky. All climbers on that day were advised not to go. 

Despite the seemingly endless cold night, I would say Mt. Pulag is worth the climb. I wondered before why this peak made it to almost all Filipino climber's list and even foreign. On my way up, I saw it myself. The people, the mossy forest, the wild berries, the vibrantly colored flowers, the trees that seemed like a garden of broccoli, the sea of clouds and the frostbiting weather--they are just too hard to resist.

Expense

P890 Bus Fare to Baguio (back and forth)
P65 Breakfast
P60/5 Cab Fare Session Road to Terminal
P2500/5 Van Fare From Baguio to Kabayan
P250 Kabayan to Baguio
P150 DENR fee
P500 motorcycle fare (back and forth)
P80 overnight fee at camp 2
P600/5 guide fee -
P190/5 lunch
P65 lunch for day 2

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I wanna go mountain climbing or trekking, too! Pero, feeling ko 'di ko pa kaya. Mag-training sah ko! Hehe:-) Uban dayon ko ninyo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sige bah! That's really cool because climbing Mt. Pulag now requires a medical certificate or some of that sort, I heard. But given the MSUAN training we have, mani lang sayo to Ma'am D :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been in Mt.Pulag for so many times. And we are only trusting one group to handle our tour.
    It is really hassle free and very cheap. Name of the group is HideOut Travel and Tours. I am not

    connected with them but I am 101% sure that they can provide you a hassle free and safe service. I booked

    my pulag,calaguas, baler and ilocos with them as well Sagada.

    this is the website where I am booking my tours.
    www.hideouttravelandtours.com

    Talked to Ms. Nisha and Sir Louie they are so kind that they sometimes give free of charge on one of

    participants specially for big groups. And sometimes with free drinks and meals pa!

    ReplyDelete