Friday, November 27, 2015

Why do we love SELFIE!

#ATM, # Abs! Abs! Just woke up! No filter!
#ATM. My friend Payee busy with her selfie as I savour
the moment reading at the peak of Pico De Loro. 

Imagine these selfies flooding your FB, twitter and instagram accounts every couple of hour? Like me, you might be a bit annoyed. Good Lord! What is happening with the world? But what is it with selfie that more and more people get hooked to it?

Good evening ladies and gentlemen! I am Aiza, and tonight, we will talk about that thing called Selfie! And when I say ‘selfie’  that does not mean giving you thousands of reasons to condemn selfie-holics but digging into the science on why do we do it.

The first selfie was taken with a mirror. So we tried to get the feel.
Selfie. The term made it to the Oxford new lexicon late of 2013.  It means  a photograph taken of oneself typically taken with a smart phone or a webcam and shares it via social media. Many thought this is a millennial thing but back in 1839, a renowned American photographer, Robert Cornelius had already taken the first selfie. And it was not until early 2000s when the term was officially mentioned during an Australian Internet Forum.

Photo from justcreative.com
As we speak, there are more or less 300 million photos tagged as selfie in Instagram alone. Add FB and other social media and you will a more overwhelming figure. But really, what is it with selfie that even after 176 years since it was first recorded, it’s still on its pinnacle to fame? Well, different social media platforms + affordable smartphones + free internet connection =  SELFIE! Upload! Like! Like! Like!

Do people take selfie merely for self-expression or vanity?
In her article Psychology of Selfies, Dr. Courtney Seiter explains that people like to take selfie as  a self-portrait and as self-expression. We want our selfies to define us. 

Another thing is that we want to feel important. A selfie with Pope for example makes you feel involved. "Hey look at me I was there when Pope was here! I participated! 

My sister Ellen and I having a blast taking selfie on a cold
morning in Baguio City.
Moreover, selfies won’t gain its fame without our support. Maybe after posting 10 selfies and you don’t get some likes and the call of courtesy comments like, “pretty!, gorgeous! Nicceee!”, you would quit. But no! As much as we fancy taking photos of faces,we also fancy  viewing photos with faces. That is because humans notice faces first. On Instagram for example, pictures with human faces  are 38% more like to receive likes and comments against those with none. 

As I peeked to comments of the selfie articles I’ve read, considered worst selfies are those taken without apparent purpose or those taking selfie for the sake of it. Interesting selfiesare those with something interesting to see.Writing this speech made me remember a friend telling me that people like to have selfies to be famous. I beg to differ because currently, we have the Kardashians, Rihanna, Paris Hilton, P Diddy acing it for the most selfies among celebrities with more or less 300 selfies on average.

Psychology says selfie is neither vanity nor a mental illness.  Selfie is one way of crafting our own identity. On the other side of the pan, selfie may pose danger as well. The number of accidents happened while having selfie is accumulating and there are also researches saying it could both boost and lower self-esteem.

We are the master of our own ships. WE have a lot of options on how to use selfie to our own advantage.  So if it makes you feel connected sharing #ATM, if it inspires you to do more to maintain those abs, if it makes you special waking up just the way you are, then take more selfies!

Life is too short to stop yourself from doing what makes you happy. But life is also too short to be a victim of the emerging technology as well. 


(Basic Speech No. 7, Pioneer Trailblazers Toastmasters Club, Makati City)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting speech! I like selfies that are nicely done and I do take a few selfies here and there (not as much as most of my friends and my sister does, though), but my favorites really are stolen pictures, especially of people reading (the more engrossed, the better). I also like nature pictures with no humans and pictures of happy people. They make me happy, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with nature pics with no humans @BabyPink :) And yesterday, I was on a Toastmaster Rookie Contest. Beside me is a kid really hooked on her book. It reminds me of how you fancy seeing such so I took a pic. Will send it soon :)

      Delete