Sunday, February 1, 2015

Holiday Getaway at Sagada, Mt. Province

Christmas is over—looong way over but I guess there’s no need for a solstice or any special
Good morning at Sagada, Homestay
occasion to talk about the… teng-ni-neng… infamous Sagada! 


Okay, don’t expect too much activity I did there. The best verdict I can offer is that if you want to sleep real well and lose track of time, go to Sagada, Mt. Province and you’ll get what you fairly need. More than. I should say. Evil smile. 
Spelunking at Lumiang Cave.

Spending Christmas alone somewhere was what I have planned for 2014 but where to? I do not have any idea. I am just a poor lass on a tight budget who can’t afford cheap luxury. Okay, enough publicizing my poverty. But as my mantra goes, ‘You ain’t need to be rich to travel’. And my sincere gratitude to Ate Robs (a former university colleague) who mentioned Sagada accommodation is fairly affordable. A P250-300 per night stay is not bad at all!

Most of the time, I am a solo backpacker who does not believe in itinerary. I don’t want to hurry seeing a museum because another one awaits. Or move from one site to another just for the sake of finishing the must-sees. I take things as they come. I am good spending the whole afternoon sitting while drinking the sight before me.  

I do not celebrate Christmas. I wear it.
Cookies and yogurt of the popular Sagada's Yogurt 
House; Salt and Pepper's heavy heart breakfast of 
brown rice, tapa, longganisa, egg, banan bread, 
and fruits; Dave's Restaurant's soup and chicken 
BBQ.
There are a lot of things to do in Sagada—checking out the hanging coffins, watching sunset at Lake Danum, spelunking, food hopping, blah, blah. I ignored all these on my first day though (and the days to come). In lieu, since I am quite too behind catching up books, I crunched with the very famous series of The Song of Fire and Ice. Game of Thrones is that popular. Glued is an understatement I even failed to tell what time of day is it. Reading is gripping. And sleeping is insatiably awesome at this rugged and cold mountain.

Sagada orange.
I am never a fan of Christmas but this place is very subtle to make you feel the celebration. It’s chilly and simple colorful lights are everywhere. Few restaurants host Christmas Eve buffet dinner at 500 pesos. I am not a foodie and thought it would be practical to order a la carte so I decided to head to Dave’s Restaurant where food is really good. I guess Ryan and I were the only Filipinos dining. Oh, I forgot to mention I got a last minute travel buddy. Ryan whose vacation to Palawan has been cancelled messaged me if he can tag along and I said sure why not! Spending Christmas with a stranger is on my bucket list. He does not fit too much for the criteria of a stranger though because he’s an officemate and good friend but whatever. As long as ‘di maarte’ go rah!




What I find really cool in this place is the bonfire and the beer and the guitar with the missing B-string (courtesy of Homestay). And I would dare not forget the free flowing brewed Sagada coffee.  Staying there for three days is maybe more than enough to see what needs to be seen and do what needs to be done.
Top load off to Bontoc.








You might also like:
Calaguas Island, Camarines Norte
Experiencing Samal Quickie
How to Spend Leisure Hours Productively
The Taste of Iloilo
Top 10 Travel Essentials

No comments:

Post a Comment