Thursday, November 6, 2014

Flat Talk

Challenging Gravity by Ross Jaylo.
Philippine Contemporary Art Fair 2014. Makati City.
Come to think of it, how are you lately? I invite you to sit, grab a cup of coffee if you want and let’s have a chat. Also, there’s few cookies left in the jar, get if you fancy and suit yourself on my lonely tattered couch.

Yes, I know. You do not reckon what you are doing here but maybe you are bothered with life’s generalities that you keep on walking, looking for answers, ending up in my flat. You do not need to go away, run away and be far away to have the answers. No, I do not have them either. It is within you.

Relationships, family, careers—these are what boggle you, right? C’mon! You do not need to nod. Just be comfortable there. Sleep if you need to. That won’t make a difference with me ranting.

So how’s you and Joey? Still afraid to tell your mom about you two? Yes, of course, I perfectly understand it is hard to fail society’s expectation. You won’t believe me but it is freeing, sweet pea! You do not owe them any explanation of your choices.  No, do not stare at me like that. I know what I am talking about. Are you happy? Yes? So what is bothering you? The thing is, the ticket to life’s journey does not depend on the mode of transportation but your mood during the transport so choose well.

Now do not get me wrong but I know you aren't here to hear my rants. Oh, I should have been a good host, offering you beer or empathetic hugs while saying, ‘It’s okay’. ‘Everything is gonna be fine…’ But no, I won’t utter those. Because you need to hear what you ought to hear. No sugar coating. No whitewashing. What for are you here?

Now eat this soup while steaming hot. Misery is better faced full. And this time I cannot offer any better but this. At the end of the day, you will be the one making the decision. Stand up. Eat.

Are you sleepy? Hang on a sec, I’ll just get you a blanket. This time of the year is quite cold. Oh, sweet pea, you need not apologize for being here. We all have our down times and one explodes with no one to implode. Here take this and sleep well through the night. A good night sleep makes a difference. 



No comments:

Post a Comment