Thursday, May 15, 2014

Common Misconceptions on Pixie Cut

Boredom took me to the nearest salon.


For 20 years of existence I could not remember to have locks cut like Anne Hathaway's or even Dora's. Just the idea is enough to freak my Maria Clara mother out. Of course she wants her baby girl to have her crowning glory long, shiny, and black. I did have a few attempts to break the rule back then. Obviously, none of them was triumphant.

The moment I got my college diploma, I landed a job miles away from home. And being away means independence. And being independent means no mom ranting if I get a pixie cut!

Basically I have three reasons in mind. One, to get a cut that’s a bit distinctive.  It's boring to always belong. Two, to materialize what I long yearned. Hmm, sorry mama! And finally, to have an easy-to-go hairdo. With dry, frizzy strands, I really am tired of ponytails, and straightening, and hair relaxing, and oh finish the list for me.

Fright and wariness were not out of the picture though. I was so accustomed with long locks that a pixie might stare back alien. But it is between pulling it off or let it pull myself down. I have to be proud of my new cut! Yeah, it feels so damn light without the mane in my back.

But what pixie cut might connote to some…

Pixie = Low maintenance
That's a big lie. I need a trim every month or two, has to spend with wax, volumizer, hair sprays, brushes, blower etc. Expert pixie cut hairdressers are hard to find and a bit expensive as well. I spend less on shampoo though!

Pixie = NO to rounded face
It has been instilled in my 1 MB memory that pixies never look good at round/oblong face. Boy, I think I got a perfect circle I could substitute Yahoo Messenger's icon. But who cares!

Pixie = Broken-hearted
I got mine prior to my break-up. My decision has nothing to do with a wrecked heart or what. It was purely experiment of which I kinda like.I can't think of going back.

Pixie = Lesbian
"What happened to her!"
"So you really are coming out?"
What's your order Sir err, Ma'am?

These are just few of the deafening queries I have to entertain when I am back to town or when I bump with former classmates and acquaintances. As if I owe them an explanation. Well, I should have been warned when the stylist asked; " Are you sure, you want to do this Ma'am? You will look like a lesbian." I gave her a dry, 'so-what' look. Would they ever understand not all lesbians like short hairs and vice versa?

Though I promised to grow my hair, I had it trimmed again five hours ago. The sweet shampoo scent, heaven-like massage, and gentle combing is so relaxing I could not resist the call of it. And so what if I have to cut my hair often? The universe knows there is nothing wrong with that. And so what if it does not suit my face. Stare until it wears you off. And so what if they thought I am heart-broken. They can’t help me out in case I am. And so what if I look like a lesbian? I could really care less. And it shall be a pleasure.

You might also like The Problem with Pixie Cut



  

No comments:

Post a Comment