Saturday, May 31, 2014

Fort Santiago, Manila

Fort Santiago, Sta. Clara St., Intramuros Manila (L-R) A welcoming nationalistic sight, Two guardia sibils, Mang Tonio and his stallion Dodong, yours truly having a good time with free mangoes  from a caretaker, a facsimile of the Noli Me Tangere, and the gateway to Fort Santiago's rich history.

One of my officemates arranged an educational tour to the Manila's infamous Walled City with the whole department and I cannot help but to feel excited for it. Hey, I've been staying in the metro formore than two years now and I only have been to Luneta Park.  It had been relayed to me that we will meet at 7:45 am and provided the Filipino time culture, I assumed it was 8 am. I was at our rendezvous earlier but an hour and a half later, I had not a seen a single familiar soul. I did not message them either. Out of boredom, I mixed with a throng of people going from site to site so I won't get lost.

A couple of minutespassed and I found myself walking to strange streets that feels like I am out of the country. No deafening honking, no irritating litters--the paradox of the city. The place had really preserved its Spanish architecture. I feel like strolling the sidewalks of Europe for a cup of coffee. Bars, restos, boutiques, and offices are housed in such rich remnants of the past. A romantic place for dates and many other social events too.


Fort Santiago is one of the best attractions of the Walled City. It showcased the Philippine National Hero Jose Rizal's memorabilia like his suits, operating tools, works of art and some of his family's fine chinas and furniture. You might be interested to peek the dungeons and prison cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment